Monday 21 March 2011

Feedback on Assignment 1

My tutor has sent back my work and forwarded the feedback for my assignment, for which I'm very please on the whole. 
Project 1:Natural objects.
"One of the best sheets is the series of little studies of fruits in the coloured pencils and pastels. It seems from looking at this sheet that you are much better with coloured pencils than you are with the pastels. You also need more confidence when you draw with pastels."
I was happy with this sheet and loved the effect I managed with the grapes in pencil. Pastels are the media in which I prefer to use. I felt a little disheartened when I first read my tutors observations of my work but on reflection his comments are fair. So back to my book I purchased a while back, "Pastel Workbook" to complete the 10 lessons Jackie Simmonds teaches. 
Project 2:Man Made Objects.
"This is another set of drawings, which show promise; you are working well with charcoal and exploring tone successfully."
"The overall impression I have of these drawings is that you are finding it difficult to translate your smaller study drawings on to a larger format."
I must agree with the above, although I'm not sure why I work better with charcoal than pastels as both mediums work in similar ways. Reflecting upon this, I think it may be that I'm more confident working in monochrome and on smaller paper, A4 as a preference. 
He goes on to recommend further artists work to look at, learn from and add to my learning log:
Odilon Redon, Chardin, Georges De La Tour, Wayne Theibaud, Giorgio Morandi, Jan De Heem and Richard Diebenkorn.
These artists are all very different and I'm looking forward to researching into their work in more detail. For now I want to get back to the exercises in the course book, as I have been a little slow since sending my first assignment.  





No comments:

Post a Comment