Sunday 15 January 2012

A Sketchbook of Townscape Drawings

I am lucky to work in a historical market town where the buildings have great arcutechture. I have never really looked in detail until now. It was challangeing drawing the buildings looking at the different building materials, the bricks which are weather worn in yellow and red and the new addition to the town finished with wooden cladding to the exterior walls. Such a peaceful place but still having people shopping and rushing around from place to place. 
I couldn't resist sketching the bank. Barclay's in Enfield Town, the first bank with an ATM machine. I draw some quick sketches of different views in close up detail in the first picture before deciding on a more detailed drawing which included the entrance to the bank with its columns and arched concrete canopy which mimics the structure over the windows to the building. I included a row of shops, the old vestry office stepped back a little from the row, the pavement in front and an ambulance parked outside in the loading bay.
To simplify the drawing I left out the details of the windows above the shops and shop signs, road markings and some iron railings in front of the vestry office. I felt they would take the eye away from the Barclay's building where I wanted to remain the main focus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment