Monday 29 November 2010

Reflected light

For this exercise to show reflective light, I used 2b pencil, water soluble pencil and 2b graphite sketching stick.
The use of the water soluble pencil clouded the highlights which were totally lost on the vase and side of the perfume bottle. I tried unsuccessfully to save the picture with adding highlights of white pastel pencil.
The table top went wrong looking like a muddy mess of graphite sketching stick. I used a small piece on its side to attempt to shade like I would with charcoal.
I was very disappointed with this as I was happy with the shapes and angles of my objects.



My second attempt was much better, although I'm still not entirely happy with the out come. The shadows and reflected light look correct but I had difficultly with the lines and angles of both the vase and the perfume bottle. Maybe I would have done better to leave this project until another day.
The lesson has taught me to be more careful with the media used and test the techniques before using them on the main piece of work. I intend to have in future have a small test sheet close to hand, and to have little more patience with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment