Sunday 5 December 2010

Composition of Natural Objects

For my composition of natural objects I selected two apple halves, some grapes and what I believe to be the most beautiful fruit when cut in half, the kiwi.
I just love the the colours and the rough texture of the kiwi and although challenging, I wanted to have a go.

Once I had drawn my objects in 2b pencil, I realized the upside down apple piece did not work, so I removed that and took to my pastel pencils to add colour to the page. I think the end result is not so bad, the kiwi is ok also the apple, and the grapes work really well. I am struggling with certain shapes and had difficulty drawing the plate on this occasion.






Check and Log

I think it is easier to show three dimensions on man made objects. Natural forms are inconsistent with shape so any shadow, highlights and shading do not follow any regimental shape or lines.

My composition showed a sense of solidity due to having the objects overlapping each other, having them next to or slightly behind one another. The shadows becoming one underneath the composition as well as having a feeling of depth about the picture as a whole.

When changing composition of my arrangement it changed the why I approached the drawing. Different objects became the focal point in each arrangement, although the technique is still the same to create form.

I choose to position myself looking slightly down on the objects to show ample shadow falling from the composition. The fruit arrangement was influenced by the uppercut side of the kiwi and a little of the textured skin underneath showing through. The shadows and the way the highlights reflected off the objects influenced me for my view point on the man made objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment