Sunday 12 December 2010

Using Texture

Some more experiments with making marks, this time to show texture. Not all of them worked as well as I hoped, although one showed a stunning effect I didn't expect. One of my squares I painted with a very wet wash of orange watercolour then sprinkled dishwasher salt on it. As it dried the salt drew in the colour leaving deep rings of colour where it had been. It is a shame that the photograph here does not show the sparkle the salt left behind.

Having practiced with texture marks, I attempted a picture which would show texture to the maximum. The bath puff worked well I believe along with the sacking around the soap, but the face funnel I'm not happy with at all. I started the drawing with tinted charcoal and found that the colour range was not suitable so finished the picture with soft pastels.

I really enjoyed looking around the house and garden for textured surfaces for the frottage section and have shown some of the results here. This simple but effective effect gave me inspiration and I used this technique to make a cover for my A3 sketchbook below.




Check and log

I have discovered some interesting new ways of making marks to show texture and I'm now more excited about experimenting with different techniques and materials. Things that would not be first thought of as for drawing or painting, such as the salt experiment above.

It is clear that I do need extra work on my form. I found myself wanting to shade and hatch where I knew it was not appropriate when showing textures.

The technique of frottage is something I will be studying more. I loved the whole process of looking for items around the home and garden to use for my rubbings of crayon and graphite sticks. I want to spend more time on looking into ways of making pictures with these markings. I was compelled to just cut them out and make collages from them, as the above sketchbook cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment