Wednesday 27 July 2011

Check and Log

The main challenges I faced with drawing animals is keeping them still. I didn't find it easy to draw fur or my dogs expression and every time I looked a her she thought I wanted to play and jumped at me. Even in my garden, no birds or cats seemed to visit at a time I wanted them to.


Should I not work full time, I would have been able to look further a field to find suitable animals to draw and would have explored local parks and rivers for ducks and dogs being walked, or a zoo for the more exotic animal and maybe to odd insect of two. 


Oil pastels seemed to work well to draw horses and fish. This media gave a shiny effect on the scales and the horses coat. Soft pastels made a good feather, edged with pen and ink to give detail on the wings, eye and feet. My greatest discovery is Neocolour II, water soluble oil pastel. I don't yet own any but have tested them at Art in Action exhibition in Oxford. Their use is so versatile and they give a vibrant paint or crayon effect depending how they are used. Wonderful for an abstract, probably not the best media for realistic portrait of any animal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment